Sunday 22 May 2011

GUTEN TAG BERLIN


**This was meant to be posted during Christmas 2010, but it seemed I never ended up finishing blogging about it! Since I spent so long on it, I think it's fair that I post it up now before my memory fails on me!**



Late update.. but I'm currently back home for christmass! It's beeen a while since I've been in the comforts of my abode! University has made me realise that home is definitely luxury, despite arguments over the TV remote, doing the dishes, and walking on eggshells with my sister every time she's in a room with me.. etc, I can truly say I miss home and my car (!!) (although I do prefer living the university life) xP.

Anyways, having said that... I was only home for a short while, because right after the weekend I came back, I jetted off to Berlin with my cousin! =)) Which I have to add.. was sort of an impulse trip! Planning of where to go, exchanging money was all done very last minute! However, we still managed xP

TAG 1 

Had to get up at 3.30am in order to catch our 6am flight.. knowing me, who sleeps at 3-4am nowadays, trying to get to bed at 12am was just not happening, so consequently, I only had about an hours sleep max!


Sunrise from above the clouds (^^)

Arrived in Berlin at around 9am, and walked to the S-bahn (which is a suburban train that runs on land within the city) to our Hostel. Now, if you're planning to go to Berlin, I should warn you the trains are immensely complicated. When you buy your ticket, you need to 'validate' it.. I didn't know what that meant at first, but when you get to the platform, theres this small red box which you need to insert your ticket into to confirm the use of your ticket and it basically stamps a time and place of where you got it -- as shown at the top of the ticket.


An all-day travel ticket which can be used on the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn


A random photo of inside the S-Bahn

It took around a 30-40 minute train ride and about 10 minutes walking to get to our hostel. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect in Berlin... I mean, I heard about its history, but having dropped history in year 9, I never learnt anything beyond WW1. But anyway.. the story goes.. 


Town painted in graffiti 


Outside the Hostel (swimming pool and sauna included!!)


You see a lot of these sausage makers around! xP 


BEST falafel I've EVER HAD! <3 <3 



One of manyy Christmas German Markets



View of the Alexanderplatz Tower


Pretty Cathedral


Despite being tired as HELL, we still managed to fit a museum visit in our itinerary! 

TAG 2


Second day, we decided to do some shopping by visiting all the good shopping places. We stumbled upon Potdamer Platz which had a shopping centre. However, on the way to the shopping centre for some warmth, we came across a part of the Berlin wall that still remains.




Next, we headed to Kufurstendamm which is basically the equivalent of Oxford Street. Personally.. I think Oxford Street is better xP.






Making Crepes! 



Another Christmas market

Tag 3


Walking towards Parliament! 



___________________

Shame I didn't manage to finish this!! Maybe in another post, I'll post up the remaining pictures that I have. I don't think I can possibly recall a lot after what happened on day 3 now! >_< 

No comments:

Post a Comment